I was never one to eat the canned, gelatinous cranberry sauce. Thought it was nasty. Still do actually. Especially with all that sugar in it!! So I searched my recipes and came up with a combination of a few. It’s very simple, really. I had bought a few bags of fresh cranberries before Thanksgiving because they were on sale and couldn’t pass up the BOGO special. I have another bag left and I think I’ll make another batch to freeze.
1 bag fresh cranberries
1 cup water
1 cup Splenda (or other sucralose sweetener)
1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
1 small apple (any kind) peeled and finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
- Add the water and Splenda to a medium pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add the cranberries and orange zest. Stir and bring to a boil again.
- Lower heat to simmer and add the apple and cinnamon stick.
- Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- I used a potato masher and just broke up some of the cranberries and apple pieces but you don’t have to do this.
- Remove from heat and cool. Chill a few hours before using, unless you like it warm!
That’s it! Simple. Just be careful when the cranberries start to pop. The splatter can be hot!