This recipe started out because I looked in my pantry and saw that I have just way too much quinoa in there. I have plain, red, tri-color and then I just bought a couple more packages at Home Goods! So I decided I needed to start using it more. The quinoa I used in this recipe was an Italian flavored one. I bought this container of Pereg quinoa in Home Goods for $3.99 and I used about half of the container in this recipe, about 1 cup. This brand comes in all kinds of flavors which is pretty cool so you can make whatever you’re in the mood for! I also bought a spinach version and a mushroom version. Just follow the directions on the package and you’re good to go! I also substituted the water with chicken broth, which gives it so much more flavor. A vegetable broth would work great too! But if that’s not something you would want to do then just use water.
This is a quick meal you can throw together in under 30 minutes for sure. Great for after work when you want something nutritious and delicious! This was a nice filling and satisfying meal for two of us but if you want it can serve 4 as a side dish.
- Pereg “All’ Italiana” quinoa (Use 1 cup and cook according to package)
- 12-16 ounces uncooked extra large-jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (no tails on unless you like that sort of thing- I do not)
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 large tomato chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package. When it is done, keep it on low to stay warm.
- Add the oil and butter to a medium skillet and saute the garlic till soft, just a few minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook on medium heat. A couple of minutes on each side until shrimp turns pink is good. Do NOT overcook.
- Add in the lemon juice and herbs and mix well.
- Add the chopped tomato to the quinoa mixture.
- Divide up the quinoa into flat bowls and top evenly with the shrimp mixture. Make sure the delicious juices are evenly distributed as well.
- Serve with some parmesan cheese on top if you like!